Standard and Personalized Bricks Kyle Field Kyle Field Historical Kyle Field Personalized Brick Personalized Brick Personalized Brick Personalized Brick Standard Brick Standard Brick Standard Brick Standard Brick
Kyle Field Brick Logo

The story behind


Kyle Field Brick


From Midnight Yell to the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band and the deafening roar of the 12th Man, Kyle Field has been at the heart of our most beloved Aggie traditions since 1904. Kyle Field has seen tears of sorrow when the Aggies ran out of time and tears of joy after beatin’ the hell outta t.u. Aggies have stood for many reasons - to proudly support our team during each game; solemnly honor our country during the Red, White and Blue Out; and mournfully remember those lost in the 1999 Bonfire collapse. Kyle Field has stood as a symbol of the 12th Man and its greatest traditions for over a century - and will continue to do so for centuries more.

This era marks a special time for Texas A&M. What better way to make a mark on college football than building the largest stadium in the SEC holding 102,733 fans? We don't know what other memories this new stadium will hold, but one thing is for sure: whoever comes to our House, we'll giv'em hell! Enjoy your piece of Kyle Field History.

Historical Kyle Field 1904

Historical Kyle Field 1921

Historical Kyle Field 1954

Historical Kyle Field 1981

Historical Kyle Field 1999

Kyle Field

Texas A&M's football stadium started as a portion of campus designated for agriculture use. Edwin Jackson Kyle, an 1899 A&M graduate, was a horticulture professor and chairman of the Athletic Council. Kyle fenced off a section of the allotted campus land intended for classroom use. On November 10, 1904, the Texas A&M Board of Directors set this area as a permanent athletic field, which served as the home for the football and baseball teams. The football field had seating for 500 people. Although some believe that the field was instead named after Dr. J. Allen Kyle, a member of the Board of Directors from 1911 - 1915, the Board of Directors decreed that Kyle Field was in fact named for E.J. Kyle '99

1904

E.J. Kyle

In 1921, the November game between the Texas A&M Aggies and t.u. at Kyle Field became the first college football game to offer a live, play-by-play broadcast. In 1927 concrete stands were constructed on the west side of Kyle Field. Two years later, the east and north stands, or "North Horseshoe,” were completed for a seating capacity of 35,000. The concrete stands of the late 1920s serve as the lower tier of today's Kyle Field. In 1954, a portion of the upper deck and a press box were added to the west side. Capacity rose to 41,500.

1921

North Horseshoe

The second deck on the west side was completed in 1967, and the upper deck on the east side was added. Seating capacity increased to 49,000. In 1970, Kyle Field's original grass surface was replaced with Astroturf. The field was converted back to grass in 1996. Third decks were added to both the east and west sides in 1979, increasing the seating capacity by 23,000 to 72,000 at a cost of $26 million. Physical education facilities were added under the east side at this time.

1967

Third Deck

The 16-feet tall block letters spelling out the stadium name on the back of the west side press box were added in 1981. The most recent expansion was completed in 1999. The expansion caused temporary displacement for the mascot Reveille graves. The canine mascots were buried across the street at Cain Park in 1997. They were moved back to Kyle Field in a designated cemetery in the Zone Plaza behind the 12th Man Plaza. A scoreboard was installed on the outside of the stadium. Seating capacity was 82,600, but additional seating was found on bleachers at the south end in front of the scoreboard. Seating reached 90,079 on Nov. 20, 2010 when A&M defeated Nebraska 9-6.

1981

Kyle Field

The Bernard C. Richardson Zone, named for a 1941 petroleum engineering graduate and a Texas A&M Distinguished Alumnus, is located at the North end of Kyle Field, replacing the former single-deck horseshoe which connected the east and west wings of the stadium. This $32.9 million expansion added over 20,000 seats, and sits 65 feet closer to the field than the previous seating. The Zone unofficially opened for the memorial vigil following the 1999 Texas A&M Bonfire Collapse, and then at full capacity the next day for the game against the University of Texas, setting a then-state-record of 86,128 fans attending. For the next several years the Aggies saw consecutive record-breaking attendance figures for the season.

1999

The Zone

Texas A&M joined the Southeastern Conference in 2012. In May 2013, the Board of Regents and the university announced the final plans for a $405 million renovation and expansion of the stadium. The renovation raised the official seating capacity to 102,512 people, making it the largest football stadium in Texas and the SEC. G. Rollie White Coliseum, built in 1954, was demolished in August 2013 to make way for the expansion.

2015

Redevelopment

2015